Criminal Defense Attorneys in West Virginia
Work with an Experienced & Aggressive Defense Team. We Have Offices in Lewisburg, Beckley, & Charleston.
Law enforcement officials and prosecutors across West Virginia take any crime very seriously. They aggressively pursue alleged offenders and often take any opportunity to impose severe consequences. These consequences can include jail or prison sentences, heavy fines, long probations, and other court-ordered restrictions and programs that can have a dramatic effect on your life and that of your family. A criminal conviction will also land you with a permanent criminal record that can be accessed by future employers, landlords, and other entities that can hamper future opportunities. In the face of these repercussions, you need the help of a skilled criminal defense attorney.
At Wooton, Davis, Hussell & Johnson, PLLC, we can help you understand your rights and options in all levels of criminal matters. We have a strong background of successful results in fighting for clients accused of both misdemeanor and felony crimes of all types. Our team understand the high stakes, stress, and uncertainty surrounding criminal charges. We will thoroughly investigate your case so that we can build the most effective strategy for negotiations with prosecutors or fighting on your behalf before a judge and jury. Throughout all stages of your case, we will be by your side working as your dedicated advocate in pursuing the best possible result.
Criminal Charges in West Virginia
Wooton, Davis, Hussell & Johnson, PLLC handles a wide variety of criminal charges including:
- Drunk driving defense. DUI (driving under the influence) is a very serious charge that can result in jail time, harsh fines, a driver’s license suspension, and rehabilitation requirements. Our firm is dedicated to investigating all aspects of your case, from Breathalyzer results and machinery defects to violations of police procedures and of your civil rights.
- Drug crimes. These are among the most common crimes prosecuted in the state. They can range from misdemeanors to felonies involving drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and more along with the compounds used to make controlled substances. Crimes include possession, sales, distribution, manufacturing, cultivation, and trafficking. Penalties are dictated by the type and amount of drugs found, the nature of the drug activity, prior convictions, and other factors.
- Theft crimes. These can range from petit larceny to grand larceny (theft of property valued at $1,000 or more), burglary, robbery, embezzlement, credit card fraud, writing bad checks, and more. They are charged as misdemeanors as well as felonies depending on the crime.
- Traffic violations. These can range from speeding to running red lights, careless driving, reckless driving, driving on a suspended or revoked license, hit and run, and more. They can result in demerit points added to your driving record, fines, and, in some cases, incarceration.
- Violent crimes. These crimes involve the use of force or threat of force against others. They include assault and battery, rape, kidnapping, manslaughter, and murder. A large majority of violent crimes are charged as felonies carrying years in prison and thousands of dollars in fines.
- Weapons crimes. These can be violations of state and federal laws regarding firearms and other deadly weapons. Examples include carrying a gun in an unlawful place, possessing a firearm as a convicted felon, possessing a concealed firearm without a permit, brandishing a deadly weapon, firing a weapon near a crowd or building, and more.
- White collar crimes. White-collar criminal matters need to be handled by a savvy, insightful lawyer who has a full understanding of these types of charges and cases. They can be complex and handled in state or federal court. From fraud to embezzlement, conspiracy to forgery, our firm can leverage additional professionals to support our defense of your rights.
Our West Virginia Criminal Defense Lawyers Will Fight for You
Facing any kind of criminal charge can be a life-changing event. These charges call for the services of a trusted and proven defender who knows the laws, the system, and how to build effective defenses that will minimize the negative consequences of a conviction. Our team is dedicated to providing you with strong representation every step of the way.
Find out more about how we can help in a free, initial consultation. Contact us online or at (304) 407-2249 today. Count on our attorneys in Charleston, Lewisburg, or Beckley to help resolve your case.