Family Law Attorneys in West Virginia
Client-Focused & Compassionate Legal Help with Family Law Issues from Our Offices in Beckley, Charleston, and Lewisburg
Family law is a practice area that requires sensitivity and an in-depth understanding of the unique aspects of each individual case. Your family dynamics and history, your goals and perspectives, and the emotional challenges you may be facing all factor into the context of handling your divorce or other family law issue. These are some of the most difficult and life-changing issues that you may ever face which is why it essential that you have a trusted advisor throughout the process.
Our West Virginia family law lawyers always remember that your life and often the lives of your children are at the heart of your case. That is why we take a broad view while honoring the intimately personal nature of our work. From divorce and prenuptial agreements to child custody and adoption, your attorney will be your point of contact from the moment you consult with us to the final resolution of your case. At Wooton, Davis, Hussell & Johnson, PLLC, we believe in remaining client-focused and accessible at all times; you will never be handed off to an associate or paralegal.
Divorce & Family Law Issues in West Virginia
At Wooton, Davis, Hussell & Johnson, PLLC, we represent clients in all family law issues, such as the following:
- Divorce. This includes uncontested as well as contested divorce that requires litigation in court. It also includes divorces involving high net-worth, family businesses or professional practices, and other complex financial holdings.
- Prenuptial agreements. These written contracts are negotiated and drafted prior to marriage listing each party’s assets, property, and debts and their property rights and obligations should the marriage end in divorce. They require full financial disclosure and must follow other legal standards.
- Child custody and visitation. Parents can create their own parenting plans outside of court providing those plans serve the child’s needs. Courts base custody and visitation on what is in the best interests of the child and generally favor joint custody arrangements to ensure the child maintains a continuing relationship with both parents.
- Child support. Parents are obligated to financially as well as emotionally support their children. Financial support is calculated according to a formula provided by West Virginia state guidelines that takes into consideration various financial factors.
- Spousal support/alimony. This support is ordered by the court based on many factors and may be paid in a lump sum or through installments. Factors can include the duration of the marriage, the earning capacities of both parties, and more.
- Modification of previous family court orders. Parties to child custody and visitation, child support, and spousal support can seek modifications to these orders through the courts where justified by substantially-changed circumstances.
- Protection of parenting rights outside of a marriage. Parenting rights for unmarried individuals can be established through paternity actions. These rights include child custody, visitation, and support.
- Adoption. Adopting a child, whether through a private or public agency, can be a challenging process. Our firm can help you navigate the process of adopting a child, foster child, a child related to you by family, or a stepchild.
- Guardianships. Guardians become the legal caretakers of minors, disabled adults, and the elderly with diminished mental capacity. We can provide legal assistance in seeking or contesting a guardianship.
- Domestic violence. Family abuse involves acts of violence or threats of violence against various family and household members and romantic partners. We provide legal support through the courts to protect victims of such abuse with Protective Orders.
Why Choose Wooton, Davis, Hussell & Johnson, PLLC?
Our firm is well-known and respected throughout the state for the strength of our professionalism, dedication, and successful track record. Our legal team are established trial lawyers who can fiercely advocate for you both inside and outside the courtroom. We offer compassionate care throughout all stages of your family law case because we understand how profoundly these issues can affect you, your children, your finances, and your future. No matter how complex or challenging your divorce or other family law issue may appear to be, we can provide creative, competent, and results-driven solutions. If you need legal assistance of any kind with a family law matter, we can help.